Saturday, May 5, 2007

Knowing is Half the Battle

I'm not doing any building today but I thought I'd take a moment and let you know of some of the resources I've been using to learn how to do these things.

Project Guitar
--There's a lot of good info here but really it's the forums that are invaluable. Whatever problem you run across, you can find someone who's been through it and get good advice.

Melvyn Hiscock's Make Your Own Electric Guitar--You can get this from any of the big online stores that sell books. It's pretty much the electric guitar builder's Bible. Ask anyone. W/ this and the wonderful folks on Project Guitar, you can pretty much do anything--if by "anything" you mean "build electric guitars."

Guitar Ed--This is my favorite guitar building site. Honestly, it's not the best for learning things but it is w/o a doubt the most fun to read. So many building sites are made by luthiers with a great deal of experience who make wonderful thing but what's great about Guitar Ed is a lot of times he actually makes mistakes, sometimes really big ones, just like the rest of us. The Beatcaster story always makes me laugh.

Those are just some favorites and there's been many other resources that have proven essential to me as a musician and a guitar player. Sometime, I will find the time to highlight my favorites of these as well as post some links to my favorite places to buy tools and parts.

By the way, you can comment on any of my posts w/ the links directly below. I will answer any questions you have to the best of my ability. I know that when I talk to people in person about guitar building they have all kinds of things they want to learn more about and I like nothing better than answering questions. Advice is very appreciated as well.

No comments: